The Winchester United Kingdom, town and city (region), in the central area of the historic and administrative county of Hampshire, England. It is most popular for its medieval cathedral.
The town lies in the valley of the River Itchen. Albeit few hints of the ancient Venta Belgarum remain, its focal position in the Roman road system focuses on its initial significance. The West Saxon episcopal see was expelled therefrom Dorchester in the seventh century, and the Winchester United Kingdom turned into the capital of the kingdom of Wessex. Under the Saxon clerics and Alfred the Great (ruled 871– 899), Winchester United Kingdom turned into a central point of learning. It was additionally the seat of government of the Danish king Canute (ruled 1016– 35), and various early kings, including Alfred and Canute II, were also buried there. Its success proceeded after the Norman Conquest (1066) when it profited from its proximity to the English Channel port of Southampton, 12 miles (19 km) toward the south, which gave access to the royal belonging in Normandy. The Winchester United Kingdom was one of the most punctual seats of the English fleece and cloth exchange—its trader organization dates to Saxon circumstances—and it increased further significance with William II’s eleventh century concede to Bishop Walkelin of the Fair of St. Giles, which was kept up until the nineteenth century. In the thirteenth century, Winchester United Kingdom contained a substantial Jewish community, recognized in the road name Jewry. During the civil wars of Stephen’s rule (1135– 54), the city was burned, and from that point, London, with more noteworthy geographical advantages, superseded it as England’s leading city.
The Winchester United Kingdom has become just humbly in modern times. It remains an imperative agricultural business sector center, and its administrative functions as the since quite a while ago settled province town have developed. There is small manufacturing. The private engaging quality of Winchester United Kingdom has gotten retired persons and commuters increasing in numbers.
The glory of the memorable city is its extraordinary cathedral, the longest (556 feet [169 meters]) in England. The first Saxon Cathedral Church of St. Swithun was supplanted by the Norman structure of Bishop Walkelin (1070– 98). The nave is Perpendicular work of the colossal fourteenth-century diocesans William of Edington and William of Wykeham. The cathedral was based on heaps in the alluvium of the Itchen valley floor and required broad restoration in the twentieth century, including supporting its unreliable foundations. Of the Norman manor, just the immense corridor remains. Ruler’s Gate and West Gate are surviving entryways of the medieval city divider, and there is an elegant city cross. The Hospital of St. Cross (1136) is a one of a kind case of a medieval almshouse still kept up. Among numerous instructive foundations, the most popular is the boy’s school Winchester United Kingdom College, established by William of Wykeham in 1382.
The city constitutes a district that broadens well past the historic cathedral town to incorporate a wide country zone. There are navy and army foundations inside the region. Trout fishing is prominent in the Itchen valley. Region city, 255 square miles (661 square km). Pop. (2001) town, 41,420; town, 45,184; city, 107,222; (2011) city, 116,595.